Current Project

Le Coureur – Lougre 1776

Description: The luggers were part of the French Royal Navy between 1773 and 1782 and were built by the engineer and builder Denys, in Dunkerque. The distinguishing feature of this type of ship were the lugsails: unlike the square sails, where the yard is attached to the mast at its middle, the lugsail yard is attached at one-third of its length. Once again, this scratch build will be done using the plans from another of Jean Boudriot’s monographs.

Started: April 2019
Scale: 1/48
Construction type: planks on solid hull

La Jacinthe – Schooner 1825 – completed

Description: Small, fast two masts, two guns vessel used by French Navy as dispatch-boat (aviso) her principal role was to deliver dispatches and to carry out reconnaissance and scouting duties. The rigging consists of two boom sails, three jibs on its bowsprit, cross-jack sails and flying topsails.
The build will be done using the plans from J. Boudriot’s monograph. I plan to fully rig the model and once done her size will be quite considerable 80cm x 25cm x 60cm (L x W x H).
Started: December 2017
Finished: March 2019
Scale: 1/48
Construction type: planks on solid hull

Project log

March 31, 2019

Rigging is now complete – all sails are done and set in place – the last one was the flying jib. The two previously made carronades were also glued in their final place.

The last thing done, was one of the two anchors – the bigger one – made from several pieces of brass sheet and copper rod, all soldered together and chemically blackened.

With this the model is now complete. The only things left to do, are the display base and case. I will do the base but the case will be ordered from a professional.

Last set of build log pictures were uploaded – check them out in the build log in the last gallery section (Masts & Rigging).

December 22, 2018

The deck is now complete: the two elm tree pumps, 44 pins in the pin-rails, the cutter attached on its stands, all the ringbolts in place, the two masts also set in their final position.

The two carronades are also made but only the base is set on deck with two steel pins – the rest of them will be glued on the base at a later time.

After all this was done, the deck and everything on it got several layers of tung oil. The rigging can now start.

Over 60 new progress pictures were uploaded – take a look!

November 11, 2018

As the work advances slowly with the deck fitting, I undertook a small project: the 6 row cutter.

It is made from pear wood and was built using a plug made of MDF. The frames were steamed and bent over the plug, then their ends were glued to it. Once the keel and the upper most strake were glued in place the framing of the boat was removed from the plug and the rest of the planking was done. The finishing touch was done with tung oil.

This small project deserved its own build log.

June 25, 2018

The deck is now finished. I used ebony for the bulwarks, except the inside of the fore part of the deck. I usually use carpenter glue for my models but for the ebony-on-ebony joints with such small contact surface I used CA glue. Plus I pinned everything with brass wire.

New progress pictures were uploaded in the build log.

Mai 27, 2018

Finally after a very long wait (almost two months) I’ve received the 0.3mm brass wire from Thailand and I could finish the deck. The planks were cut from a single piece of holly but stil show a lot of colour variation – which I like. They are 1.5mm thick and I could not bend them sidewise, so I have to cut each one of them to shape.

The build log was updated with the new progress pictures.

February 16, 2018

It took me about 20 hours over three weekends to “nail”  the planking – to drill 0.5mm holes with my Dremel, glue in each a piece of brass wire with CA glue then file/sand the ends. There are a bit over 3000 of them (3038 to be precise) and I used about 11m (33ft) of brass wire.

I think by now I have enough material for a new build log so here it is.

January 28, 2018

The hull planking, up to the whales is now completed. There are 18 strakes of pear wood 4mm by 2mm. They narrowed toward the bow and stern and there is one plank drop at the bow. The whale will be done in two strakes of ebony but only after the lower hull will be nailed to the frames.

December 27, 2017

The solid hull is completed. Frames and keel were cut from 6mm plywood and the spaces between frames were filled with cedar wood. The deck was planked with 1.5mm by 25mm basswood strips. Once sanded the remaining gaps and irregularities were filled with wood filler. It does not look so good now, but all this will be covered with the final planking.